Sulaymaniyah Asayish Says Dangerous ISIS 'Wilayat Kurdistan' Battalion Dismantled

17-02-2026 08:34

Peregraf – The Kurdistan Region Security Agency (Sulaymaniyah Asayish) announced on Tuesday that it has dismantled what it described as a “dangerous terrorist group” affiliated with ISIS, arresting 10 suspects in a series of coordinated security operations spanning parts of the Kurdistan Region and disputed territories.

In an official statement, the agency said the group operated under the name “Salman al-Farsi 5th Battalion” and was linked to ISIS’s so-called “Wilayat Kurdistan” (Kurdistan Province), a branch claimed by the extremist organization in previous propaganda releases.

According to the General Directorate of Asayish Operations, the arrests were carried out between December 8, 2025, and February 9, 2026, in coordination with the Iraqi National Security Service. The operations targeted suspects in the districts of Halabja, Said Sadiq, Penjwen, Garmian, and Diyala.

Authorities said the detainees include individuals from South Kurdistan (Iraq) and East Kurdistan (Iran), suggesting cross-border coordination and recruitment efforts.

Alleged Activities

Security officials stated that the cell was actively attempting to reorganize ISIS ranks and establish new operational units following years of territorial losses suffered by the group in Iraq and Syria.

Among the alleged plots attributed to the “Salman al-Farsi 5th Battalion” were:

• Rebuilding internal structures and forming new terrorist cells.

• Establishing safe houses (known as madafa) to shelter operatives.

• Facilitating the transport of ISIS militants from neighboring countries into the Kurdistan Region and southern Iraq.

Officials did not specify how long the group had been active but said intelligence gathering and investigative work led to the coordinated crackdown.

Seizures and Casualties

During the course of the operations, one member of the Kurdistan Region Asayish was wounded, according to the statement.

Security forces reported the seizure of:

• Eight firearms and one pistol.

• Two hand grenades and quantities of C4 explosive material.

• A rifle scope and a suicide belt.

Photographs released by the agency showed weapons and explosive devices laid out as evidence, though authorities did not provide further technical details about their origin.

Legal Proceedings

All 10 detainees are currently being held under Article 4 (Terrorism) of Anti-Terrorism Law, which carries severe penalties, including life imprisonment or the death penalty upon conviction.

The announcement comes amid continued concerns about ISIS sleeper cells operating in rural and disputed territories between the Kurdistan Region and federal Iraq. Although the group lost its territorial “caliphate” in 2017, security officials have repeatedly warned that it continues to attempt regrouping efforts, particularly in mountainous and border areas.

Authorities pledged to maintain intelligence-driven operations to prevent further attacks and disrupt extremist networks operating within and beyond the Kurdistan Region.